People often don’t think about their bite. It is an automatic ability, like when you are busy enjoying your favorite foods! Unfortunately, for many people, their bite is not just a function; it affects how they look. From an overbite to underbite to crossbite, there are a range of misalignment issues that can distract from your appearance and take away from your ability to chew comfortably. Can Invisalign help? Your dentist in Raleigh will tell you everything you need to know.
Why are Misaligned Bites a Problem?
The alignment of your upper and lower teeth is important due to the fact it determines how effectively you can chew your food. If your teeth are properly aligned, the force caused by biting is evenly distributed, leading to healthier, longer-lasting teeth. In contrast, if your bite is misaligned in some way, certain teeth can wear down more quickly from bearing all the unbalanced biting force.
Although many people are concerned with the aesthetics of a misaligned bite, it can lead to chronic jaw pain and increase the risk of tooth decay and gum disease. This is due to the lower teeth rubbing against the gum tissue on the back of the upper front teeth. For these reasons, orthodontic care is a great option to consider for a healthy, aligned smile!
Can Invisalign Treat Bite Problems?
The answer is yes! While everyone’s smile is different and requires individual evaluation, Invisalign can be used to correct a wide range of bite problems including:
- Overbite, which is when the upper teeth close too far in front of the lower teeth
- Underbite, which is when the upper teeth come down behind the lower teeth
- Crossbite, which is when some of the upper teeth are sitting inside of the lower teeth.
- Open bite, which is when the upper and lower teeth don’t touch each other when the mouth is closed.
It’s important to be mindful that some orthodontic issues are easier to treat than others. Invisalign is better suited for treating mild to moderate bite problems; for more severe cases, traditional braces are most likely the better option. A consultation with your dentist will help you to know which will be the best option for you.
Benefits of Invisalign
If it is determined that Invisalign is suitable for your smile goals and needs, there are some advantages to choosing it over traditional braces, such as:
- Being Discreet: Invisalign is made from a clear medical-grade plastic that’s far less noticeable than metal brackets and wires, so you can smile with full confidence at work and social events.
- More flexibility: Traditional braces limit certain kinds of food during treatment, but Invisalign doesn’t have any dietary restrictions due to its removable nature. You also will have fewer dentist appointments with Invisalign, as traditional braces require more visits to tighten and maintain.
- Comfort: As stated above, Invisalign is made from a smooth plastic that doesn’t irritate or scrape against the soft tissues in your mouth. The metal brackets and wires of braces can cause irritation and require dental wax to minimize the abrasiveness.
Invisalign can help achieve the smile of your dreams by aligning a broad range of bite issues. With this helpful information and a consultation with your dentist, you can find out if it is right for you!
About the Practice
Baker, Rohner & Hunt serve Raleigh and the surrounding areas through the expertise of their team of dentists. With over 25 years of service, they can help you create a healthy, beautiful smile through preventive, restorative, or orthodontic care! They offer a range of personalized services using advanced technology to achieve your dental goals, including Invisalign. If you would like to schedule a consultation to discuss your bite issue, contact them through their website or call (919) 847-7100.