One of the things people dread to hear from their dentist is that they need to have their wisdom teeth removed. Thanks to pop culture, it has been made out to be a tough process. However, there is nothing further from the truth. As a matter of fact, most people only experience very mild discomfort after the extraction. Read on to learn what to expect after wisdom tooth removal and helpful tips to care for your smile as it recovers!
How Long Is the Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery Process?
Generally, the recovery process will depend on certain factors, such as the number of stitches or teeth removed. In some cases, there may be some bruising or swelling afterward. The length of time of recovery from wisdom tooth extraction will depend on these various circumstances. Even though the healing time will be different for every patient, you can expect it to take a couple of weeks.
This is the typical recovery process for a wisdom tooth extraction:
- First 24 Hours: Blood clots will form on the extraction site.
- 2 to 3 Days: Mouth and facial swelling should begin to decrease.
- 7 Days: Any remaining stitches will be removed (unless they are dissolvable).
- 7 to 10 Days: Jaw stiffness and soreness will begin to fade.
- 2 Weeks: Mild bruising and swelling should be completely healed.
How Can You Care for Your Smile Immediately After the Procedure?
It’s essential to take special care of your mouth after wisdom tooth extraction to prevent infections and complications. Since your dentist will provide you with aftercare instructions, you will be able to adequately keep your mouth clean and protected. By following their advice, your healing process will be smoother. Here are the typical recommendations for immediate care at home:
- Rinse with warm salt water to keep the wound clean. The key is to remember not to spit out; just simply lean over the sink and let the water fall out.
- Do not brush, floss, or rinse for an entire day after your wisdom teeth removal.
- Gently dab the wound with gauze to absorb any excess blood.
- Avoid any activity that would dislodge your stitches or blood clot; it’s best to take it very easy the first two days after the procedure.
Tips for a Speedy Recovery
To keep your wisdom tooth recovery smooth-sailing and comfortable, follow these helpful tips:
- Apply a cold compress: Placing ice on your jaw and cheek will help minimize pain, bruising, and swelling.
- Take prescribed medication as directed: Be sure you take your prescribed painkillers as instructed and complete your dosage of antibiotics.
- Be mindful of your diet: By sticking to a diet of pureed and soft foods for the first few days following surgery, you will minimize your risk of complications.
- Rest as much as possible: Taking the time to get plenty of time to rest will help your mouth heal faster.
Although the time frame for wisdom tooth recovery will vary for each person, you can ensure a smooth recovery process with these helpful tips. Within a few weeks, you will return to a healthy and comfortable smile again!
About the Author
Baker, Rohner & Hunt keep the smiles of Raleigh healthy and beautiful through the expertise of their team of dentists. With over 25 years of combined service, they offer a comprehensive range of dental services. By using advanced technology and customized plans, they can help you with any dental emergency, including wisdom tooth extraction. To schedule an appointment, contact them through their website or call (919) 847-7100.